View Single Post
Old 02-09-2005, 09:13 PM   #76
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
F posted:Actually I think that such small additions as the one discussed now must realy wait for the text to be produced.

L:agreed

F: 1. Do we a) present the chapters of the Quenta Silmarillion as such or do we b) simply tell the tale of th elder day without indication of its source or tradition?

L: Chapters are I think an important aspect of continuity w/ 2ilm 77/99.
However small editorial insertions indicationg major incorporations could be simple and helpful.

2. How do we present the wild mixture of texts at the end of the First Age?

L: Follow Christophers chapter lead w/ additions for Hurin's wandering. Hurin in Brethil I think was CJRT's name ofr the section of wanderings that was written.

F:1. Earlier there had been the idea to split the chapter Tuor and the Fall of Gondoiln in two parts to deal with the whol story in a more chronological way. This was never mentioned again. I do not support this in any way, and wanted only bury that idea once and for all.

I still think a break could occur after Tuor's introduction to Gondolin, essentially where the OF Tuor and his comeing to G's notes fritter out.

There is a natural story break there as he settles down in GOndolin and comes into his manhood. Essentially nothing major happens till he marries Idril, while many things, such as Turin's and Nargothronds demise are.

So I am for it, the remaining material really constitutes The Fall of Gondolin [ and a short preface], which happens 7 years after Tuor reaches the City. This also keeps our hodgepodge away from the nearly seamless UT Tuor, which is so polished imo, that it deserves not to be too closely paired w/ our Frankenstein FoG. Of course Fin, your case against it may persuade...

F: 3. As it seems to me, that we have already missed a chapterbreak between the "Of the Voyage of Earendil" and "Of the Great Battle and the War of Wrath". But I am at a lose to insert it with out a consens.

L: a natural split - seems to me.

2. In the Doriath chapter we had some differgent ideas of subheadings and chapter breaks. I think that such an overview of what is to come would be the right place to discuss this issue as well.
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote