View Single Post
Old 12-26-2004, 10:38 AM   #38
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
A Confession of Oddities

Quote:
I will even read favourite books from childhood, and never get rid of books because if they were good enough to buy they are good enough to keep!
Bravo, Lalwendë! And it is good to see someone else with Gormenghast on their list! Now that's a book that requires immersion, and it features probably my favorite villain of all time--Steerpike! And as for getting rid of books one has enjoyed--I've regretted it every time I've done that, and I inevitably search for and find 2-3 copies of the same book to make up for my initial stupidity in getting rid of it the first time! Many of my re-reads are in the realm of supernatural legend or speculative books; however, it is the topic and not necessarily the author in those cases--however, I think I finally reached a conclusion on the matter of the Bermuda Triangle! (That is not to say I won't read another book on it, because I inevitably will!) I also have enjoyed reading the collections of Frank Edwards' strange but 'true' stories and the like. And, having just recently finished "His Dark Materials," I already know I will be re-reading it, and soon! Strangely enough for this thread, I've never read a word of Jane Austen...I've read and re-read many short and long stories by H.P. Lovecraft, Ray Bradbury, Alfred Bester, Kurt Vonnegut, Robert Heinlein, etc. etc.

I think the main reason now that I go back to favorite stories or 'ideas' is that I am searching for a way beyond reality, a window into the other world. Tolkien is a beautiful set of French doors leading into a vast courtyard that stretches into misty mountains and the promise of ultimate light behind...his mythology is so full that the window is not merely a walled garden, but a real "other world" whose light flows into my house.

Like many of you, there are life events that have sharpened my appreciation of Tolkien's work. I read Lord of the Rings first as a winter's time passer in 1991 and enjoyed it, although I thought no more of it afterwards but as a ripping good tale. I was taken with Sam, who, through all that adventure, never lost his essential simple nature and steadfastness--he who could see and live wonders and still comfortably settle down and have a regular family and life.

However, as my memory of the details faded, I began to experience physical and psychological effects from some unfortunate life events I can only describe as like in character to the mindset Tolkien describes in Frodo after Mount Doom--it was OK when he thought he was destined to die in the quest, but, having survived, the wounds continue to beat him down and cause him to withdraw from regular life. I didn't even realize this fully until I finally re-read the books in 2002 and Frodo became the natural viewpoint character. However, the experience and essential nature of the work was deeply ingrained before that, because I had a spontaneous experience of seeing Ents in a forest during a spiritual exercise in 1998. I had all but forgotten the details of the story, but there were the Ents in front of me! Thus began my habit of identifying nice forest spots as "Middle Earth" or "regular world," and my crackpot habit of addressing trees directly. (There are 3 cedar trees along my walking path who probably think me quite strange!)

And now, lest you think me completely out of my mind, I shall end my tale here and hope it is really what I meant to say! Cheerio!

Cheers!
Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”

Last edited by Lyta_Underhill; 12-26-2004 at 10:40 AM. Reason: clarification
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote