View Single Post
Old 12-29-2003, 02:29 PM   #39
Theron Bugtussle
Wight

Location: Blowing the froth off a couple in this quaint little pub in Michel Delving.
Theron Bugtussle has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

<B>The Only Real Estel</B>, from a closed Movie thread on Legolas: <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Can you imagine a director of a 300 million+ movie casting a major character simply to 'get the chicks to come to the movies?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>In short, YES.<P>If that does not seem clearly possible to you, then explain why Jackson doctored the original Tolkien story line in so many places? He thought his changes were 'improvements' that would help the movies be better/more dramatic, etc. All of which are entirely arguable here on B-D forums. <P>In a similar example, why remove the poetic warrior champion Gimli and replace him with the 'comic sidekick' Gimli? Because he will make people laugh and help repay the $300 million-plus investment in the movies. Do a quick review of all the *drooling* on this thread and the guffawing over the interplay between Legolas and Gimli's 'kill count' and the oliphaunt stunt, and I rest my case.<P><I>True-to-Tolkien it's not....</I><p>[ 3:39 PM December 29, 2003: Message edited by: Theron Bugtussle ]