View Single Post
Old 01-25-2004, 07:32 PM   #33
Armetiel
Haunting Spirit

Armetiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> <BR>Armetiel - Now that I think about it, we do hear Haldir's name in FotR, but seeing him again in Helm's Deep doesnt add anything special, and yes, the viewer may recognize him from FotR, but it just erks me to think that Americans (and other audiences) need to be spoon fed their characters so they dont get confused...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I'm not American,(although I know you said other audiences too ) and even though I don't get mixed up having had read the book many times, the rest of my family and friends (other than my bro) hadn't read the book and they all said on numerous occassions that the only thing they didn't like about the movie was that there were too many different characters and names and they were getting confused...And they did recognize Haldir when they came,, if he had been someone that was completely new to them, they would have been even more confused...I heard often enough from them "Who's THIS guy?" about characteurs that are just being introduced and I'd have to say "wait and see, he wasn't in it yet." To which they'd reply. "O, not ANOTHER new dude" (or something along those lines)<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I alteady felt that the oppression and suffering was already well enough conveyed, but once again, I dont really think that PJ added these parts in just for the effect it conveys about war, I cant forget the families of the cats that PJ put into the movie...<BR><HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Families of CATS? willkill? I don't remember these... <BR>However, I'll assume you mean CAST, and with that thought, I'll comment...I personally think it's Awesome that he included the families of cast members in the movie...Especially his own kids...I mean as a father it shows he's spending more time with them in letting them come to his work, and also, perhaps they would like to be actors, this is certainly a great way to help them start their career. And the fact that he also let's the other cast members have their families in the movies as well shows to me how much he values family life, and knows that the family connection is an important one...<P>That said, I'm sure if it weren't family members in those shots, it would have been someone else. So why does it matter to us whether or not those ppl are related to the main cast or not. In fact probably some of the extra's were family members with each other too (but not family of the "big stars") Does it really matter? I mean I can see it mattering more if they did a terrible job at acting, but I can't say they did any worse than anyone else. <P>And although having the woman and kids may not have added anything other than "pity for them" to you...it added a lot to me, and many others...I'm sure PJ was thinking of the ppl who would like them in the movie (the majority) rather than the select few who wouldn't.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Once again, EE just doesnt float my boat, I would like to see the numbers of the number of tickets sold to see the theatrical editions in the theatre, and the number of DVDs the theatrical edition sold compared to the number of DVDs the EEs sold...I bet you like less than 5% of people that saw LoRT saw the EEs, and that is why I am basing my "beef" with PJ on the theatrical version...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>I agree that barely anyone has seen these, but maybe you should consider basing your "beef" with those that made him cut the parts out, rather than PJ, who wanted them in.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Im referring to all of those poeple boarding the boat, but my question is, which one of them knows how to sail? (most likely Gandalf or maybe Galadrial, who sailed from Valinor in the first age)...but I was under the impression that the boats that the elves boarded were giant and fair, not a tiny littly fishing boat...and I also thought that a very large host of Elves set sail for the west at the end of the 3rd Age, not just one boat...I would of liked to see the one boat join a giant fleet of elven boats at the grey havens...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR> My quess would be that Cirdan was sailing.\<p>[ 9:02 PM January 25, 2004: Message edited by: Armetiel ]