View Single Post
Old 09-28-2006, 02:30 AM   #557
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddwen
This weekend, I read the Farseer trilogy by Robin Hobb, and am just halfway through the Tawny Man trilogy by the same. I picked them up because I think someone on this thread recommended them. Yes. Um.

I can also recommend them - it's a different kind of fantasy than I've encountered before. About a boy/man caught up in events long foretold, yet it doesn't get too preachy nor does the boy/man "come into his own" with ease or a sudden predictable showing-up of magic. If that makes sense.
I confess recommending them. I just love them and very much agree with your points here. (Yes, they do make sense, at least to me.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja91
How long has it been out for? It sounds good, but then again, it will probably end up in the I-have-yet-to-read stack
There has been four books (A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings, A Storm of Swords and A Feast for Crows) this far, the first was published in 1996 and newest last year. There are still three books to come.
It's epic fantasy, including plotting, drama, warfare and complex relationships. Furthermore the books not the most cliché-rich stuff out there and they have a certain sense of reality in them. One thing I love about the author is that all his major characters don't survive alive or have a happy life. Besides, the book doesn't have clear good and bad, which I see (in most books) as a very good thing.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote