View Single Post
Old 08-20-2008, 02:58 PM   #5
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
There was an interesting feature on the radio the other week which I meant to "listen again" to but forgot. It was in response to the new film version of Brideshead Revisited which had upset a lot of Waugh fans because of changes they made which one of the speakers contested made it an appropriation of the book rather than an adaptation. It seems to me that while FOTR might just class as adaptation, TTT was an apropriation and the Hobbit film probably will be.

Appropriation may sometimes be appropriate - I enjoyed the films of Last of the Mohicans and La Reine Margot for example but failed to slog through the books. I love Edith Wharton and enjoyed greatly the films of "The Age of Innocence" and "The House of Mirth" . I liked the look of the Jackson films but they have no hold over me. The proposed Boorman version though definitely an appropriation I found intriguing.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote