View Single Post
Old 05-15-2004, 08:50 PM   #239
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Tolkien Eodwine

"Eodwine, I presume."

"The same." Eodwine offered his hand in greeting to the man, turning to the Hobbit. "Falco, is it? You are a fine Hobbit, and I am glad to make your acquaintance." He turned back to the Ranger. "You are familiar to me, I'm thinking. I know not how, and missed you name. But I wonder, might it have been in the War that I saw you? I was in the charge of the Rohirrim at Pelennor, and marched to the Morannon. Did I see you then, mayhap?"

"Thoronmir is the name," the Ranger replied. "And I too was at Pelennor and Morannon. And now that you say it, I do believe that I did see you there! Well met, friend!" They slapped each other's backs and grinned in that way that comes to none but common veterans.

Eodwine turned to look at the Elven woman's corpse, and those who knelt over her in mourning, not least the crow they called Corn, who combed her hair with its beak. "Who was this lady who gave her life for mine? I am forever in her debt, and would know in whose honor I shall live the rest of my days."

"She was Lira," Thoronmir said, "not the most beautiful of Elven women, but her heart was true and her courage great."

They walked over to the others. Falco was unusually silent, and wiped away a tear.