View Single Post
Old 04-23-2004, 05:36 PM   #218
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I shuddered as I heard the snarling noise. It seemed to choke me with invisible fingers, drinking my strength away. As soon as my eyes became adjusted to the dark, I saw a lank wolf eyeing us with golden orbs. Spit dripped from his white fangs, his fur was stiff on his neck. He looked evil. Felt evil. I shuddered again, wishing to go back.

That was when I noticed that the tunnel ended behind the dog -- or at least I assumed so. Bags were piled behind the wolf and I saw a glint of gold. I gnawed my lip, considerring. If there was gold in those bags, what else would be in there? Clues as to the master was? A pip and some tobacco, I thought with yearning. I nodded and said, "We should kill him and look at the bags. We have you with us," I said, just now noticing the newcomer as a ragged ranger. "You could kill him easily, could you not?"

He nodded and I turned to Anson. "We have a ranger with us," I said with a smile. "He'll help us kill it -- or we'll help him kill it."

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lira and the others

Thoronmir now neared the end of the pipe. He stopped, made sure that everyone was ready, and, with a gesture of his hand, burst from the pipe, sword drawn. Lira crouched waiting to spring as soon as Furman had disappeared from the pipe. It reminded her of a running race she had often played when she was young...

Furman began to wiggle himself and she scrambled forward after him. She slid from the pipe onto a wooden floor and, drawing her knife, she climbed to her feet and glanced quickly around, looking for the enemy. She saw Furman grappling a guard, and a guard pulling a blade on Falowik.

She heard a soft step behind her and whirling around, she saw another guard lunge at her with a heavy sword. She parried it with her dagger and dodged underneath his arm, driving her knife into his belly.