View Single Post
Old 05-17-2012, 09:53 AM   #900
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Elin shivered a little in the wind - the hobbit cloak she had borrowed from the kitchen was no more than a cape on her long frame. She had found some herbs alive in a sheltered spot by the back door: thyme, sage, chives, mint, sweet woodruff and a rather leggy rosemary bush. They were mostly dormant and she had picked only a few sprigs that might serve if there were none in the kitchen - she had tried the garden first to make the most of the light on this short winter day.

Annie had been left inside - her cold had been temporarily forgotten when she had discovered the big grey tabby cat nested in a basket in the pantry. Happily the creature was good natured enough to at least tolerate the child's affection and Elin hoped that so occupied, her daughter would be no trouble to that kind Miss Rowan, while she was outside with Penny's cousin Iris. The older hobbit woman had been bemoaning the state of the cabbages in particular.

"Yes, you are right it has been let go - but there is nothing that a bit of time and effort couldn't put straight" said Elin to Iris as they surveyed the kitchen garden, forlorn in its neglect and the November wind. "The bones are here... you can tell it has been well tended in the past.. it wouldn't be like starting from scratch". She stooped down and ran a handful of earth through her fingers. "This is good tilth save for the weeds. The main problem as I see it is is that it is a bit late in the year for winter planting - my grandmother reckoned that should be done by the end of October and we were a good deal to the south. I suppose it might be worth trying unless your winters here are very harsh..." .

Iris' reply was interrupted by Rowan calling from the kitchen. It wasn't so long since the last cup of tea but another would be welcome still.

Last edited by Mithalwen; 05-19-2012 at 07:22 PM.