View Single Post
Old 02-26-2004, 05:03 PM   #13
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
I posted some questions on the "New Game Come to Town" thread in Rohan, but I want to make sure I get a profile in, so here goes. This is likely to need revision, and I'm absolutely open to suggestions and corrections.

NAME: Ravion

RACE: Man; Ranger

HISTORY: Ravion was born in Bree to a young woman of Bree and a Ranger. He was trained as a Ranger by his father, and was soon recognized as a quick study. Although he was competant with a bow and more than competant with a sword, his skills were predominantly in reconnaissance, so when things began to stir and war seemed imminant, he was set to protecting the Shire border. His job was to keep quiet and fight only when necessary, something that irritated the ambitious young warrior. He found himself at loose ends much of the time, and, though things heated up as the years progressed, he always wanted something more.

At the end of the war, Ravion's father joined Aragorn in the south, where he fought bravely and died a hero. Ravion was present at the last battle, but never forgave himself for not being present at his father's final moments. In addition to this, once the chaos of the war had ended, he found himself again without a task. The peace that came after Elessar came to the throne of Gondor left no place for a young, energetic warrior with dreams of further heroism. He now spends much of his time hunting out pockets of orcs who escaped the war.

APPEARANCE: Ravion looks younger than he is, with bright green eyes and a mouth prone to smiling. He keeps his hair short, and it is brown, flecked already with grey, as are his small beard and moustache. He somewhat shorter than most of his Ranger brothers at 5'9", which was something of a touchy subject for him, and compactly, solidly built. His sword is of his own make and somewhat rough in appearance, but well-made and sturdy: his scabbard and belt, however, were his father's. He still wears mainly the clothes he wore as a Ranger, in greys and greens and browns. They are worn and comfortable, much in accordance with his personality.

PERSONALITY: Ravion is a man with a huge amount of unspent energy. He can be quite moody, the life of the party one moment and a bitter man too old for his years the next. Before the war he was very cheerful and personable, well-liked and friendly. Now he is very frustrated and can be a little volitile, lashing out at people in sudden bursts of anger.

Nevertheless, this is an aspect of his personality that he tries to suppress. At his heart he is a good man, and tries his hardest to be friendly, but his bitterness over his part in the war has made him a difficult person to get along with. With the people he gets closest to, he can seem very helpless and desperate, almost childlike, in his battle against his own frustrations.

The truth of the matter is that he feels guilty about his father's death, and thinks that, had he been there, his father could have been saved. He wants desperately to make it up to the world, or to his father, but he doesn't know how. He spends a lot of time at inns, hoping to find a worthy cause, someone to help, so that he can atone for the sins he has projected upon himself. There is nothing he wants so much as to be forgiven, and he is willing to go to any length to achieve forgiveness and peace.

All of this establishes itself in mannerisms that seem very quick and nervous. He fingers his scabbard endlessly, for example, and every night he lies in his bed, staring at a necklace given to him by his mother: it is a white-green stone with a square hole in the center, tied to a leather strap. It has his father's name engraved on the side that he keeps to his chest.

So, just tell me what needs to be changed, and I'll change it.

~Orual