Thread: Password
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2020, 07:49 AM   #9340
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
1. Not quite an ostritch kid. Both a name and a job description.
2. A lonely one's dream, and his eccentric cousin's assaulter.
3. ARWEN: Lady sees herself in the mirror in a new rayment and takes a step back.
4. Take her, and a double vowel switch, and kill him with eastern invaders.
5. NOLIMON: The First King's heir, and by another name the First Queen's jewel.
6. DIRHAEL: A King's descendant and a King's grandfather. Heal, and rid confusion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
Tell you what, the Special Question gives some fantastic stuff through Google Translate. The most sane translations I can get are Kurdish (didn't even know it used Cyrillic) and Macedonian:

There's enough agreement that мешах means something to do with stirring, mixing, muddling that I'm comfortable with it, but I think the rest is just not-enough-corpus error. If I add in a line break or two, GTranslate completely loses its mind - and identically in both languages:

So, we're looking for a confused Shi'ite with a goat's head who may or may not want to be happy. Oh, yeah, it's on the tip of my tongue--!

(Like I said: professional amateur translator. This one may be beyond me.)

hS
You know what? This is actually hilariously a great description of the clue's intention. Especially "I am confused, what are you doing here?".

This actually gave me an idea for a (legitimate) password.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwen View Post
3. Arwen?
Indeed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
#4: It sounds like we're looking for a woman whose name is two vowels away from someone killed by Easterners - which to my mind means either during the Nirnaeth and its aftermath, or during the Wainrider-Balchoth wars in Gondor. The latter actually looks less likely, because all the kings of Gondor who died there had stupidly long names, and Tolkien didn't have any women named 'Ramendacol' or such.

hS
Barking up the wrong tree here. Try recombining the words in the clue. Your straight clue is off. One of your Easterling guesses is correct.

None of the guesses for #2 are correct. To help you out: the cousin's eccentricity refers to a specific line in the text, and it means exactly what you assume at first (odd). The lonely one never actually dreams of the answer, but they would looove to have met them. Final clue: you all know the answer by a more common name; it is the opposite of obscure, except for the alternative name use.

A no for #1 as well. Try some synonyms.