View Single Post
Old 09-12-2003, 01:34 AM   #42
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

But when you first agreed upon it, mechanical monsters seemed unacceptable for you. When I devoloped my Idea, I only looked for the dragons / monster in question themself and not to the editing process that my theory would force. If we sunder type 1 and type 2 so far as to make the on mechanical and the other animal like we must change at least 3 phrases in the text (FG-D-02, §§ 62 and 74).
Aiwendil had seen at once that if mechnical monsters are accepted this would allowe for much less heavy editing in the text, if we accept type 1 and 2 to be mechanical, as they were introduced in The Tale.
The problem that could have been produced by that would be the missing of type 4 dragons in the battle. But as my discussion shows that is not realy the case, since type 3 does often sound like type 4. So in conclusion many mentions of the dragons are so ambigous that any of the four types we psotulated has found its place in the sack of Gondolin. So some of the phrases used are confusing. But that is true for original The Tale as well.

Respectfully
Findegil

P.S.: What ever we do in the end, the dragons in the sack of Gondoiln are a clear case for a paragraph in the appendix.
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote