View Single Post
Old 01-15-2003, 09:55 AM   #27
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Lord Roneld observed the barbeque queue and sighed. Why did business lunches always end like this? The plates were fuller than the heads, and soon the digestive process would rob the gathering of its last remnant of decisive energy. He had to take action soon.

What should he do with this motley crew of half-elves, half-heroes and half-halflings, to say nothing of the dragon?! His allies were not getting thinner! How could he rid himself of them before they ate him out of house and farm and wrecked his furniture with their blundering weapons? Slowly a thought evolved, an idea that gave his eyes a slightly malicious gleam, though none could see it through the black circles perched on either side of his nose. The thought grew and culminated in one word: Mother-in-law!

He noted Merisuwyniel’s return and beckoned her to him. A few whispered words, and she lifted her lovely soprano voice in one clear tone, rising in height and strength until it reached a voluminous high C. The drinking glasses on the table shattered, everyone looked up from their plates in astonishment, and Roneld finally had their undivided attention. Unfortunately, his satisfaction was marred by the fact that his darkened eyeglasses were also shattered, so that he had to proceed without them.

“Friends, Rohans, countrymen, lend me your ears! You shall have them back anon. This noble Entish bow requires help on a quest fraught with great danger. Sides may be split by weapons or laughter before this adventure is over. I dare not command any of you, but I ask: Who will go with fair Merisuwyniel and the bow on a mission of revenge and recovery?”

Lord Halfullion Gormlessar hesitated not an instant before stepping to her side, proclaiming, “You have my sword!”

Earnur Etceteron dashed over and exclaimed, “Hey, I already offered her mine!”

Orogarn Two shrugged and said, “Well, even if you don’t have my wallet, I can go with you. The prophecy must be good for something.”

Pimpiowyn piped up, “I will join the company to avenge my parents.”

Vogonwë snapped out of his poetic reverie as all eyes focused on him and absently added, “Um, yes, me too.”

Kuruharan had been silently calculating the possibilities for lucrative endeavours and spoke up, “You have my dragon, but only on a leasing basis.”

“Speak for yourself,” Chrysophylax growled. “What’s in it for me?”

“Well,” said Pettygast, “someone has to scour the Shire, Rohan and Gondor for more pieces of the Ent That Was Broken, so that will be my mission.”

“Wonderful!” Roneld called out, secretly relieved. “There will be seven of you travelling, eight if we include the wizard, nine if we count the dragon, ten if we consider the bow sentient, fourteen with the horses – no, fifteen, I forgot the donkey.”

’Ere, wot about me? Wylkynsion interjected, but only Etceteron heard him.

Roneld continued, “You shall be called the Multiple, Choice Questers!”

Excitement rose high as all thronged to the buffet one more time to make sure that they were adequately provided with nourishment before leaving. Then the gazebo emptied and the company dispersed to pack their bags.

° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° °

When they regathered with their various paraphernalia and mounts, Roneld stood at the gate with his family and personnel to make sure they all left – um, to bid them farewell. Merisuwyniel and Halfullion led the group on Falafel and Tofu, with Earnur close behind them astride Baklava. Vogonwë had mounted Pasdedeux by means of a double somersault followed by a twist, while Pimpiowen had been helped up behind him more conventionally. Kuruharan walked beside Chrysophylax, since the dragon was not to fly for the time being. Pettygast sat on Hummus, staff in hand. The only member of their company without a beast of burden was Orogarn Two.

Vogonwë was the first to notice. “Pray tell, where is your equine companion?” he asked.

The man lifted his head proudly and declaimed, “Orogarn Two has no horse, Orogarn Two needs no horse!”

Pimpi had noticed something else. “Just where are we going?” she asked. “Does anyone know?”

All eyes turned to Merisuwyniel, who turned and looked to Roneld.

“You will travel to Topfloorien, the Elven Highrise Apartflet Complex,” he answered. There shall you receive aid from my kindred. Indeed, happy were the days when we visited them for the great festivities of our people. In memory of our own journeys, my children shall sing you an Elven song to speed you on your way.”

As they rode and walked out of the gate, the lovely strains of music wafted toward them:

Ó ver Theriveran dthruth ewoodsto
grand mothë rshouse wego…
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'