View Single Post
Old 10-07-2022, 02:17 PM   #2
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
More than a few parallels between my list of thoughts and Gil-galad's...
  • You know, I am not tired of the opening theme, visually or musically.
  • I also think I'll miss this weekly routine. I'm not sure if I'll actually miss the show.
  • Galadriel, you should all be dead. Why are you not dead? This is Pompeii; you're supposed to be a fossil now. (I like the idea of Orodruin pulling a Pompeii--or should I say a Krakatoa?--on a previously verdant Southland, but this is straining credulity to have our point of view characters surviving it this close up.
  • Or is it? I'm no vulcanologist. How close to Orodruin are we supposed to be and what's reasonable?
  • Is is a good sign I writing this verbosely when all this action is on screen?
  • What is this now? More meteorites? Ah, no--we're blaming Orodruin for this.
  • Being sad over a tree is very Tolkienian... though a potentially Sauronic figure saving one is a bit of a reversal.
  • Well, err, not actually saving it, I guess.
  • Elrond asserting his half-Elven naturally is almost subtextual: like, the narrator of the Red Book lays more emphasis on it, rather than the characters.
  • You know, it really would have been better if they could have just said "Mahal," but... yeah... Appendices.
  • I half expect Durin Jr. to kill Durin Sr. here...
  • I'm annoyed at this stupid "Elves will die by spring" story, though I do enjoy Elrond, Durin, and Dísa every time they're onscreen.
  • Look, teasing Isildur's death is silly--we KNOW he has to survive. They should have made him Anárion (a character we never saw in the movies) and had Isildur the offscreen brother--it'd raise stakes and give better peril here.
  • Did you just give the Witch-king his sword, Galadriel?
  • Hmmmm... is a blinded Míriel going to lead to her union with Pharazôn?
  • Why is the music especially "Downton Abbey" during the Harfoot scenes? Am I imagining this?
  • It'd be a bit of a downer, but if this is where the Harfoot story ended--and they were hiding through the remaining seasons--that'd be ballsy and super interesting. But... I doubt that's what we're getting here.
  • Whoa! You've killed off Celeborn?!?! This seems quite ridiculous, but... I admit I am curious. Also baffled. This is a reversal of their usual rewriting: moving something backward rather than forward. I assume we'll see him again--either returning from the west, ala Glorfindel or in an Adar-like role.
  • Or... both?
  • I admit I never really expected extended Galadriel/Theo screentime.
  • There is real menace in the orks--I continue to really love that.
  • "Blast it" doesn't quite work for Tolkien--even for his Dwarves.
  • You're not about to reveal that your Secret Name is Narvi, are you, Durin?
  • Am I about to get some Longbeard patricide?!
  • Durin Sr.'s stage presence is fantastic--I'll be sad when he does leave the stage.
  • As soon as you started singing, Poppy, it was clear this would end creepily--and so it does.
  • This is a very WWI sort of injured-looking tent.
  • Again--that note of period piece melodrama.
  • Oh yeah, I forgot Arondir existed.
  • This is VERY short-hand, but the idea of Númenor turning its back on Middle-earth is not terrible.
  • "Míriel daughter of Ar-Inziladûn"--what is this mixing? Either you're Míriel daughter of Tar-Palantír or Zimraphel daughter of Ar-Inziladûn. Except, of course, she promises to come back.
  • Look, Daddy Brandyfoot, I'd buy this speech more if your tribe hadn't left you behind for dead on the road.
  • Halbrand does have one of the better musical cues, doesn't he?
  • You're going to take a near-dead invalid on horseback from Ithilien... to Lindon? Greenwood? Where are you going to ride with him, Galadriel?
  • I still hate "commander."
  • Still, if the point is to save the Elves, Dísa, there's not much point waiting to dig if you have to wait a few more years. Except for spite, which IS kind of a Dwarven motivation.
  • Oooh, Balrog cameo! Pointless, but okay.
  • Adar's not dead, I see. Do any main characters die?
  • Is it supposed to be a "reveal" that the Southlands are now Mordor? Because... who didn't know that?
  • Still annoyed that Amazon cuts off the credits.

Overall, I think I'm more exasperated at the snowballing of annoyances now, as the season goes on, but my expectations have found the right level for the show, so this isn't resulting (yet?) in a higher level of overall dissatisfaction