View Single Post
Old 09-01-2002, 08:21 AM   #32
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I've read this entire thread and thought "Wow, I can't wait to put up my opinion." And now I'm having trouble thinking what I'm going to say. I'm just going to give it my best shot.

Good and Evil, Light and Dark, The oldest topic known to man. (and elves hobbits and dwarves)

I'm going to talk about Adam and Eve for a second so If you don't believe in them you are free to skip to the next paragraph. They caused somthing called orinial sin. Because they picked and ate the fruit from the center of the garden. And it's somthing we all have to live with. But there was sin before that. It just hadn't happened yet. Why would the snake tept Eve if there wasn't sin already there just not brought into the open yet.

Sin is always there. Evil is always there. It sits politely in a dark spot in our minds. Sometimes we will call upon this dark spot to get us what we want. So that you can anoy people, steel a bit of candy before supper, etc. Now this is not evil right? Well no. But there is a little evil in the process. Some people call upon thier dark spots for things much greater. Hitler wanted a German empire and in order to get what he wanted he used the evil in him. I agree with Miss Frank that there is good in everyone. There is also evil in everyone. The whole Yin and Yang thing. But that dosn't make people evil. There are evil actions and good actions. I think the point you turn evil is when you support your evil actions. But even then all is not lost. It's like the night sky. It seems all dark but there are still pinpricks of light (the stars) trying to get out.

Back to the original question of whether there could be a quest to destroy all evil. No. And yes. The popular idea of a quest is to throw a pack on your back and head out the door to find or destroy somthing. But that dosn't have to hold for all quests. Even now there are efforts to destroy all evil. You and I know that it can never all be destroyed but we can make it better.

Start with yourself. Keep your dark spot at bay and bring out more of the light. And by exaple others will do the same.

Before I shut up I just want to give my idea on one more thing. That dark must coexist with light. I agree that without evil there is no point in good. When the U.S. was attacked by terrorists there were wonderfull people that used the oppertunity to do good. But without that trigger they wouldn't have done things like that. There will still be terrorists and bad things will still happen but durring the past year there are many who rose up to extiguish a little piece of it. A very small piece that made all the difference.

Just like the Fellowship. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]