View Single Post
Old 04-08-2003, 06:22 AM   #18
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Plus of course Gil-Galads parentage as the son of Orodreth, son of Angrod.

One argument against this I think [ and for leaving it vauge or...] is that Orodreth being given Minas Tirith to watch over when his father and Uncle are given Dorthonion.

He would be the only such 4th generation finwean to be given such leadership with his anscestors still alive. to my mind this is somewhat problematic and unlikely. JRRT never really worked the spate of changes into the texts, so I have little confidence he would have stayed at the same generation as Celebrian and Celebrimbor.

Also having the High-Kingship jump to yet another House without even a word to note it is also strange.

Ideally CJRT would have remained silent on the Gil-Glald/Orodreth matter and we would have precendent for doing that as well, but that would feel a bit odd at this point.

So something of a case can be against using the final version I think, though I expect the rest of you to have something else to say on this! [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote