View Single Post
Old 02-15-2009, 12:45 PM   #125
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Trór

True to his wish, Kórin stayed behind. Trór didn’t know what he would say to her exactly but anything had to be better than to let another of his new subjects go unfairly rebuked. Although Trór had spoken harshly to her his frustration was at Kénan. He had seen her before in the halls, but the memory of her had faded from his mind in the heat of the argument.

Kórin still had the same look of defiance on her face that she had had five years earlier; for some strange reason Trór didn’t hold it against her. Normally he would resent the fact that someone below him could face him with such audacity, but her very nature was different from the other women. She had that spark that Trór found worthy of his admiration; Kórin was a fighter.

"All has turned to vain thinking and mad decisions." Trór said this with certain level of annoyance. "These nobles would seek to use me as a shield against the enemy and than to supplant their wishes upon me. I do not agree with everything they have said, but for the sake of unity, I have accommodated them. At least it will keep me out of their blasted politics!" Trór sighed heavily and unfolded his arms. He didn't really care what this woman thought of his thoughts; he just needed to let that much out of him. Besides, she was not tainted by the ceremony of the nobility. Kórin might understand after all. What did it matter anyway?

“It’s Kórin, am I correct?”

“Yes.”

“Tell me, I have seen you before in the colony, what is your occupation? Are you any good with an axe?”

~~~~~~

Nisa

Onli was obviously distracted with the council, but Nisa didn’t hear anything, all she was focused on was the terrifying figures of Kénan and Trór. She wanted to run as fast as she could back to the safety of her home, but to do so would mean leaving Onli. The loneliness of the trek to the first hall was almost unbearable; nothing but shadows in the torchlight and large spaces of darkness in-between them. Why didn’t Onli say something? It would certainly make her decision easier to make.

Nisa had just made up her mind to head off as fast, but before she could do so torchlight could be seen at the end of the hall. Many loud shouts could be heard echoing off the walls, and the clanking of steel could be heard; soldiers! At the moment she noticed the soldiers, the angry figure of Kénan passed them by and all thoughts of running were erased from her mind. The best thing to do now was to stick with Onli where she wouldn’t bear the full brunt of someone’s wrath.

Onli was listening to Kénan, who was talking harshly to some child. The council seemed to be concluded; the nobles began to gather in groups, while some left in a hurry back towards the great hall. Onli looked at Nisa; she glanced at the council, where Trór was standing, and then returned her attention to Onli as if to ask: "what now?"

~~~~~~

Nali

The council had gone sour. Nali frowned at Trór’s choice; it was too harsh and showed only that the new lord was adamant in his ways; it will only breed fear through his subjects when Kénan spreads the news. Nali liked Kénan, they were both old and of like mind. Although they had different ways of reasoning, they were close to each other. Nali would always be loyal to Trór but he did not agree with him on many matters, Kénan was right in both of his strategies and it pained Nali to see him punished for it.

The council was adjourned and Ori, along with Loni, walked up to him.

“It is a sorry state of affairs.” Nali said in a low voice. “I shall go back to the hall and organize the rest of our fighting dwarves and send the miners here with all possible speed. Will ye both come with me?”