View Single Post
Old 04-18-2007, 12:40 PM   #384
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElentariGreenleaf
Oh, also, what are peoples views on Half-Elves? My character's a half-elf, but I'm not sure how Tolkien had them, whether the elf traits or the human traits are stronger. I was thinking about having my character as a half elf with no elven traits and she doesnt know her father was an elf. Would that work? Just realised I really shouldnt use this character because she's in one of my books, lol. I'll created a new character based on her though, seeing as she wasn't a LotR character anyway. But now I have to come up with a new name.
Hm. Half-elven? I-I...I'm not sure. The first few posts of this thread have all the rules and information and stuff about the Golden Perch. You may want to go back and read that. But this is there among other things:

Quote:
Types of characters allowed:

Hobbits
Men
Elves
Dwarves

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Character types that are not allowed:

Orcs
Easterlings, Southrons, and any other men of an evil race
Animals (as main characters)
Any other creature or persons not mentioned in 'Types of characters allowed'
I'm inclined to think that half-elven characters should not be allowed. It didn't happen very often in Tolkien's books, and when it did, it was extremely special. As to what happened to the kids, well...there was always some big to do about them. Elrond and his brother, were they not sons of and elf and man? Didn't one get to choose if he were to be immortal and take after elves (Elrond) and the other that he'd be mortal? And I don't know about Beren and Luthien's children...

I would prefer it if you just made her full elf or full man.

Thanks! And welcome here! I look forward to your character and her entrance to the inn.

-- Folwren