View Single Post
Old 07-05-2004, 12:53 PM   #266
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Gilly

Gilly found that when she awoke the second time, it was getting rather late in the morning. The sun was already up, though it had not yet crept over the edge of the deep valley, and had the bed been not quite so soft, she would had thought that she was at home again, snug and safe in her nest. But the politely insistent rapping on the door she eventually realized was not the small fist of her youngest son. Springing up and padding across the floor, she answered the knocking, not a little embarrassed to be caught sleeping so late in the day, but she had been tired and sore, and not knowing what to do with so much time on her hands had returned to sleep after a most satisfactory breakfast. But upon opening the door she found it was the same elf that had so kindly attended to her the day before who now appeared at the threshold, and much to Gilly’s delight she bore her old clothes carefully folded.

“Oh, how splendid!” the hobbit exclaimed. “It will be so wonderful to get back into familiar clothes again! I will start to work on them straight away. Were you able to find any green thread?” Then realizing that she hadn’t been thinking, and not wishing the elf to surmise that she didn’t approve of the elfin garments lent her, she quickly added, “I mean no disrespect of course, but I’m not used to such fine clothes as elves make.”

“No offense taken, Mistress Banks. I doubt that I would feel at home in the raiment of the Periannath as well, but I hope that you do not mind a little elfin handiwork among your clothes,” she said flicking the folded dress open to lay it fluttering down like a banner across the rumpled bed. There Gilly saw that all was mended, and the torn border of her coarse dress had been replaced with a new one, not nearly so mean, but having woven into it a subtle pattern of trailing vines.

“Oh, by the blessed Hill of Ilmarin, what’s been done to my poor dress, it is beautiful!” Gilly exclaimed. And when the elf opened the stack of the hobbit’s colored cotton petticoats, she saw that they were nearly remade with matching ruffles sewn on to the bottom edge. At a loss for words and brimming with emotion Gilly turned around and gave the elf a hug, quite surprising of the woman of the Eldar. But quickly recovering, the attendant pointed to the neck of the dress explaining that she did not understand the knots that dangled there and so had not addressed their condition. “Then you did all this? And so quickly!” Gilly said in amazement. “Never mind that ragged mess of knots. It’s just my habit for tatting that put them there in the first place. It doesn’t look like much now, does it?” she said smiling, “But once it was a bit like lace. Easy enough to fix given this idle time, and I will show you how, if you would like. But I have lost my shuttle,” she said remembering that the river had claimed the treasure of her pockets. “You wouldn’t happen to have a pin and thread on you that I could borrow?”

The slender elf produced the green thread Gilly had asked for, handing it to her. “Unfortunately, I have not a spare moment to sit and learn your craft, but I will look forward to seeing what you make, for I have not heard of tatting before now. But I will bring you a pin if you require it, for that is easily found, and anything else you need.”

“I would appreciate that very much,” the hobbit said. “And sorry to be of such trouble.”

“It is no trouble at all. If you need me I am Novfuinien,” the elf said excusing herself.

“Two questions before you go,” Gilly said hurriedly retrieving a letter from off the table. “I have a message that I need to get to Bywater. In Westfarthing.” But noticing Novfuinien’s puzzled look she began again, “It is to go to the Shire along the East Road. Do you know of anyone headed that way?”

“Ah, I see. I do not know of any traveling there myself, but will ask those I meet. Do not worry, we will find a way for it to go, so that it will arrive there safely” she said as Gilly handed the letter to her. “What is your second question?”

“I was wondering if you might have seen Miss Nightshade yet this morning? I thought earlier to catch her at breakfast, but did not find her there. ”

“No, her bed has not been slept in, and they say she still waits beside Dúlrain. That is all I know. But a word of caution before I go Mistress Banks, do be careful not to wander too far in the gardens as I heard you did yesterday. For even though the orcs were routed I would not recommend it, at least for a time.”

“Not to worry Miss Novfuinien, I’ve had enough excitement to last a lifetime, and am in no hurry to meet with any more. But if you think the way to the great hall and back safe enough I’d be very much content to wander that path and few others, save maybe to visit Dúlrain and Miss Benia, and though the gardens are quite lovely, I will limit myself to staying close by.”

“I do think the great hall would be safe, but now I must go. I will return shortly with the pin,” the elf said pulling the door to as she disappeared behind it.

Last edited by Hilde Bracegirdle; 08-12-2004 at 03:45 AM.