View Single Post
Old 05-11-2004, 12:01 PM   #198
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Baran stretched his arms and yawned mightily. Then he scratched his beard before responding to the Elf. "I had no idea that shapechangers had come to Gondor," he answered. "And of course I will tell the King what little I know of them, though I know no more than I told you."

He looked about at the cell with disdain. "Horrid place," he grumbled. "I thought very highly of this King until he decided to lock me up in here."

"I do not know if he ordered you imprisoned," replied Piosenniel. "Or if some member of the Guard, having heard you were in the City, took it upon himself to act. You must understand that the people are shocked at the attempt to kill Elessar and are fearful and suspicious of strangers right now." She sighed and thought quickly about the unfortunate turn of events. "Where were you last night?" she continued. "Perhaps others can vouch for you."

"I was in the library until rather late," he answered. "The librarian can confirm that if he recalls anything that happened past the end of his own nose. Then I began the long walk back to the Seventh Star. But I was hungry and thirsty and chose to stop at a small inn. The Pikestaff it was called, I think. There I spoke with the barkeep and others who were there, telling and listening to tales. Surely someone will remember me..."

He frowned for a moment. "As I was walking down from the library, I passed two men who were walking up into the City. The both wore cloaks and hoods, so I could not see their faces and they did not speak to me. But they smelled odd..." He laughed at Piosenniel's curious expression. "I am both man and bear," he said. "My sense of smell is better than that of 'normal' men. But these two men smelled familiar somehow. Kind of like Beornings, as if they had some animal in them. But at the same time they smelled different and unfamiliar."

"You may have seen the assassins, then," said Piosenniel. "But that alone may not be enough to get you released. Tell me, is there any way to prove you are a Beorning from the north?"

"Other than changing into a bear?" he asked. Piosenniel nodded with a chuckle. Baran thought for a moment, then smiled. "Yes," he continued. "I think that I can prove at least that I come from the north. About ten years ago I visited the Lonely Mountain. There I met a comrade of your King. A Dwarf. Gimli, Gloin's son. He told me the tale of the Quest of the Ring himself. He mentioned to me something only he would know. During the seige of Helm's Deep, your King and Eomer, who I understand is now Lord of Rohan, were battling Orcs outside the walls. They were forced to retreat and Elessar stumbled. The Orcs were quickly upon him, but Gimli slew them and he escaped..."

"I have heard that tale," said Piosenniel. "It is well known."

"Ah!", exclaimed Baran. "But do you know what your King tripped over?" Piosenniel shook her head.

"Gimli told me," he continued. "And he thought this was rather funny. The men of Rohan had given Elessar a helm to wear into battle. Well, Gimli told me that the helm was rather overlarge, and when he and Eomer turned to retreat behind the wall, the helm fell from Elessar's head. It was the helm that Elessar stumbled upon!" Baran smiled broadly, and Piosenniel's eyebrows rose at this tidbit of news...