View Single Post
Old 09-08-2022, 02:10 PM   #6
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
I'm more of a casual Star Trek fan, I watch the TV shows and movies (that is I'm not on any Star Trek forums nor do I visit any of their websites) but I thought his quote was interesting. I like to think now I have a "Nimoy approach" when I'm reading Tolkien. I think about "where is Tolkien trying to take me now?" For example, today, I always thought it was just Sauron vs. Gil-galad and Elendil. Pitch disagreed and I can see where he's coming to that conclusion. So which one of us is right? For myself, it doesn't really matter anymore. We both made our points and it's nice to look at something differently, even if I might disagree.
You know, in that little debate I was just flexing long-unused muscles for auld lang syne. My interior version of this scene has for yeni unotime been that it was Isildur who finished Sauron off (by cutting off the Ring) after the two kings fell, and I think I could find a quote that says so if I could be bothered, but I'm not married to that version. I don't really care whether Elrond was a combatant in that war or not. What I do care about was the larger debate in which the question came up, and which was largely about the question of female characters non-conforming to traditional gender roles; but that is ultimately a question of personal beliefs and can probably not be settled with any amount of Tolkien-quotes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
Am I being too pedantic, for example, in my criticism of Galadriel's portrayal in The Rings of Power? Someone might think so, but I'm not just upset it's not how I imagined it or how Tolkien describes it. I'm upset because when I see Galadriel being portrayed as a pretty young woman among middle-aged men while those middle-aged men should be much younger than her (they are her cousins' children after all), I see another instance of the predominant (Anglo-)American media being obsessed with female leads being young and attractive while male leads are allowed to be older and/or uglier and it irritates me as a woman, a feminist, and well, as a person who has eyes and sees there are women of all ages and appearances out there.
Not pedantic at all, and this is actually the best criticism of RoP's Galadriel I've seen so far. (Over in Bêthberry's thread I said she reminded me of Korra - with Gil-galad as Tenzin? I mean, the colour palette fits...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
Of course, sometimes nitpicking about things is just fun bonding with your fellow geeks, and a bit of an ego boost too (don't we all know Tolkien's works so much better than these silly writers?
That's largely why I'm here posting now. I've been keeping an eye on that other thread from time to time, and TBH the amount of bile and vitriol unleashed there by some of our holy grail-keepers has been quite off-putting. That's not the kind of discussion we used to have in the good ole days, and it's no fun. It was only when I saw people like you, Formy, Legate and Agan posting about the show on Facebook and Bb opening her thread here that I actually felt it would be fun to come and talk to you about the show, like in the good ole days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithadan View Post
As an older fan, I can say this. If Rings of Power had come out in the 1980s (ignoring the lack of cinematic technology available then), I would have been overjoyed at the opportunity to watch a fantasy show of even moderate quality "based upon" Middle Earth.
Me too! The Bakshi movie scratched that itch for me, and I'll defend its virtues with my dying breath, viking Boromir and pantless Aragorn notwithstanding.