View Single Post
Old 05-23-2009, 11:10 PM   #7
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Ring

Quote:
Sauron is more Morgoth's accountant, a dry piece of toast who learned much from Morgoth's mistakes
Morthoron, if we had a Hall of Fame for best qoutes by a poster, I would nominate this one for enshrinement.

Inzildun understands what I am suggesting here. I am not advocating for sympathy or forgiveness for Sauron. Nor am I suggesting he was capable of redemption by the time of LoTR. While Of the Rings of Power suggests that he acted remorseful before Eonwe at the conclusion of the First Age and that he may, indeed, have felt guilt and sorrow for his evils, by the Third Age Sauron was clearly beyond redemption. Compare the death of Saruman with the final fall of Sauron. Saruman's spirit or shade at least goes so far as to look to the West before dissipating. Sauron's, instead, as its last act, impotently threatens the Army of the West. He has no forgiveness left in him at that point.

But what I am really talking about is the torment Sauron must have experienced at the loss and absence of the Ring. If Gollum and Frodo are representative examples, the loss of the Ring is akin to perpetual withdrawal from a physical addiction. It is pure agony. Does Sauron experience this? And if he does, would you have sympathy for him at least as regards his suffering?