Thread: The New Shadow
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2019, 07:10 AM   #9
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
1) I don’t think that the info is quiet the same, so I would let that last sentence stand as gandalf85 edited it.

2) Agreed. But I would like to a bit more, found in a quiet different place:
Quote:
NS-SL-05 <End Comment of The New Shadow Here{, both in A and B, The New Shadow}the source we have ends, and it will never be known what Borlas found in his dark and silent house, nor what part Saelon was playing and what his intentions were.> NS-SL-05.5 <UT, Istari It is said that in {later}these days (when again a shadow of evil arose in the Kingdom) it was believed by many of the "Faithful" of that time that "Gandalf" was the last appearance of Manwë himself, before his final withdrawal to the watchtower of Taniquetil. (That Gandalf said that his name "in the West" had been Olórin was, according to this belief, the adoption of an incognito, a mere by-name.) {I}We do not (of course) know the truth of the matter, and if {I}we did it would be a mistake to be more explicit than Gandalf was. But {I think}probably it was not so. Manwë will not descend from the Mountain until Dagor Dagorath, and the coming of the End, when Melkor returns. To the overthrow of Morgoth he sent his herald Eönwë. To the defeat of Sauron would he not then send some lesser (but mighty) spirit of the angelic people, one coëval and equal, doubtless, with Sauron in their beginnings, but not more? Olórin was his name. But of Olórin we shall never know more than he revealed in Gandalf.> NS-SL-06b <Letter 256{I did begin a story placed about 100 years after the Downfall [of Mordor], but it}[b]But we know that this tale[/u] proved both sinister and depressing. Since we are dealing with Men it is inevitable that we should be concerned with the most regrettable feature of their nature: their quick satiety with good. So that the people of Gondor in times of peace, justice and prosperity, would become discontented and restless – while the dynasts descended from Aragorn would become just kings and governors – like Denethor or worse. {I found that even}Even so early there was an outcrop of revolutionary plots, about a centre of secret NS-SL-07b{Satanistic religion}<Letter 338 societies practising dark cults>; while Gondorian boys were playing at being Orcs and going round doing damage. {I could have written a 'thriller'}We only know that the tale was about the plot and its discovery and overthrow{ – but it would be just that. Not worth doing.} NS-SL-08 <Letter 338{Except the beginning of a tale}and that it was supposed to refer to the end of the reign of Eldarion{ about 100 years after the death of Aragorn}.>ETA-SL-26<Appendix A

Here ends this tale, as it has come to us{ from the South}; and{ with the passing of Evenstar} no more is said in this book of the days of old.>
Respectfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote