View Single Post
Old 04-03-2005, 03:35 PM   #25
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pipe

I have never been tempted to skip any part of the story. If I make a decision to read a book, I have to read every part of it. Even the parts that I find a bit dull, which usually results in me reading the lines and not really taking them in. That doesn't happen with LotR - well not the story at least. I must admit to reading some of the poetry without really comprehending it, the first few times at least. And it has happened with some of the other works. For example, I found the chapter on Numenor and the tale of Aldarion and Erendis in Unfinished Tales rather dull, and my recollection of them is far hazier than it is of other parts of the book.

With LotR, I always feel slightly disappointed when I reach the end of each book in TTT and RotK because I have got caught up in the story and want to carry on about the adventures of those that I have been following. But, as soon as I start on the next book, I am immediately caught up in the new story and find myself equally disappointed when I reach its end.