View Single Post
Old 03-27-2005, 10:53 AM   #9
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Originally, I too was very surprised at how many people find the Frodo/Sam storyline boring. I still am, but I think I can begin to understand why. The first and second halves of TTT are very different, in tone, amount and type of action, and even in the types of characters. Also, the first half is more about events and the many characters in them, while the second half is more about the characters and their journey. I can see where some people might think that the Frodo and Sam part is a bit low on action. But boring? I suppose it's just a matter of taste - I'm glad that many people who orginally found the Frodo and Sam parts to be boring have come to appreciate them more.

So the predominant reason for skipping seems to be because the events are 'boring'. How about because characters are boring? For me, this would be Treebeard and the oh so slow Ents - I routinely skip that chapter. Also, like Mithalwen, I have no tolerance for Tom Bombadil - I tend to skip his chapters, too, no matter how hard I try to keep reading through them.

Sharpis Corbis brings up a good point about people who read slow - my brother is like that as well. My brother commented that in the slower-paced second half, he had a harder time remembering what was going on. For slower readers, it would probably make the book much more interesting if something was constantly going on, whether it be battles or otherwise.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote