View Single Post
Old 12-19-2003, 01:27 PM   #260
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Liornung and Maercwen with Eruvalde

Liornung finished his song and, setting his fiddle down, applauded heartily for Maercwen, who gave a little curtsy. He had enjoyed her singing immensely, and as much showed on his beaming face. He took up his fiddle again and was about to strike up another tune when his sharp eyes caught a little girl sitting some ways away, apparently listening. She glanced up and, seeing that Liornung was looking at her, stood up and took a few steps back.

"No, no!" Liornung said, holding up his hand. "Please, my girl, don't go. If you enjoy the music, well then, come and sit down." He smiled encouragingly at her. The girl hesitated a few moments more, as though she wondered if he really meant it, and then with shining eyes she moved closer. Liornung gestured for her to sit down next to Maercwen and studied her carefully for a few moments. "You do look like one of this land," he said at last, "yet you also look as though you are of Gondor." He winked at Leofan. "And, indeed, shouldn't I know? I've been there once or twice."

"What's your name?" Maercwen asked without the least hesitation, looking upon the girl with a studious yet friendly eye.

"Eruvalde," the girl replied. "But my father and Momma call me Ru."

"And would you have any objections if I called you the same?" Liornung questioned. "I do think it is more enjoyable to find out what dear friends and relatives call people rather than what their real names are." He scowled at Leofan ferociously. "He had an annoying habit of calling me by my real name, though I much prefer Liornung. However, I must forgive him because he didn't know I had changed my name until just recently."

Eruvalde did not seem in the least disturbed with Liornung's explanations and ramblings about his own name and answered his question quite promptly. "You may call me Ru," she said. "I don't mind."

Liornung gave a nod of satisfaction and turned to Frodides, holding up his empty plate. "I hope I would not be troubling you too much, my dear, to ask if I might have more? I haven't had such a good meal in a long while." Frodides took his plate without the least hesitation and hurried off towards the Inn. Liornung heaved a long sigh. "You know, Leofan, that sometimes I don't get any food at all. It all depends on how much my music is appreciated."

"Are you staying here, my girl?" Leofan asked, his question directed at Eruvalde.

"I don't know," the girl replied. "My father said we were going to Momma, but I think maybe Momma will meet us here."

"Either way it should be absolutely fine," Liornung said, "as long as you find your mother. I haven't seen my mother for a long time. I want to visit her sometime soon, though, if only I can find the time. Pity she doesn't live here. Haven't seen my father, either. Have you seen them recently, Leofan?"

Leofan shook his head. "Not recently. My family visited them when Maecrwen was a small baby, but that was three years ago. I'd like to see them again, as well. Perhaps we can invite them to come here sometime. They would enjoy it, I think." He glanced towards the Inn and a fond smile came to his face when he saw Frodides walking across the grass towards them, her hair tossed playfully about by a soft breeze. "They love Frodides just as she was their daughter," he said.

"Well, she is, in a way," Liornung replied. He got to his feet and went to meet Frodides, taking the food with a little bow of thanks. The little group sat themselves in a circle, Eruvalde next to Maecrwen, who was talking on about all sorts of things, and Liornung set to his food with great eagerness.

"When I was inside Bethberry, the Innkeeper, asked me about you, Liornung," Frodides said. "She wondered if you would consider working here."

"Here at the Inn?"

"Yes. She told me a fiddler would be of great use to attract more customers."

"Oh." Liornung set down his plate for a moment and looked up at the sky. His fingers ran over his fiddle in a musing manner, and he tapped his foot. "Apologies!" he cried suddenly. "I must admit I wasn't even considering the question at hand. I was composing a little tune in my head. Perhaps I can play it for you tonight?" He ran his fingers through his hair. "Yes, well, about working here... I suppose I could do it for a time, but you must understand it can't be a permanent job. You see, as soon as that wilderness out there calls me to go exploring and rambling, I'll have to go. I can't live long without it. But for now, I think a job here would be quite nice." He picked up his fiddle and struck up a merry tune that had no particular flow, obviously one he was creating as he went along. Almost immediately he stopped, though. Picking up his plate, he said, "Food first. I've very hungry."