View Single Post
Old 12-15-2003, 07:57 AM   #256
The X Phial
Shade of Carn Dûm

The X Phial has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Lathyn stood in the doorway between her parents' room and the kitchen. Unnoticed for the moment, the small girl stared at her mother's sweat-drenched face in fear. Maedlyn's normally serene countanence was drawn taught with pain as her daughter looked on. Memories of the last time were starting to pool in Lathyn's head as the anxiety slowly drained from her mother's face and was replaced with a tired smile.

"Getting stronger, Lairwyn. That was a fierce one."

"Aye, but still too far apart. Can you manage another walk? We should try to hasten this babe's arrival."

Lathyn saw her mother struggle to sit up and ran to her side to help her.

"Ahh, my good girl, so helpful. Thank you, Lathyn. Soon you will have a new brother or sister, and you will be an ever bigger help."

Lathyn smiled at her mother, but felt tears coming anyway. She shamefully wiped them away, wanting to be strong for her mother, but it was so hard to see her like this. She was used to her parents being invulnerable, always there to chase away the imaginary orcs or swing her up for a quick hug. It scared her to see her mother suffering.

The midwife was helping Maedlyn to her feet when she glanced down at the girl fighting back tears. Lathyn had been helpful, but the process of childbirth was long and emotional, doubly so for a child. As the two women made a slow course around the room, Lairwyn caught Lathyn's eye and smiled.

"You know, Lathyn, I think your pa would like an update. Menfolk aren't usually allowed in the birth room, so I know he'd love to get some news from you. Go find him and tell him that things are moving along slowly, but steadily. Tell him your ma is brave and strong, and doing just fine, okay?"

The girl sniffed and nodded, pleased to have an important task to do. She ran to the front door and found her father outside, pacing and trying to carve something in between his rounds of walking. He quickly turned to face his daughter, and Lathyn could see that he was worried too. She didn't know whether to be glad that she wasn't being foolish, or scared that even her strong papa was concerned.

"Oh, Papa!" she said, and let herself start crying again.

"What's wrong, Lathyn?" he asked anxiously. "Is there something the matter inside?"

"Oh," she sniffed, "no. Miss Lairwyn told me to tell you that things are slow but good and Mama is being real strong."

She could see her father relax a bit, and he stooped to hug her and then he picked her up and sat with her on his lap.

"Oh, I'm glad. Lairwyn's not one to lie, even to spare feelings, so things must be going pretty well." He pulled his daughter into a tighter hug and they sat for a while in silence as the air grew cooler. "It's hard to see your ma in pain, I know. It's especially hard for us because we love her and can't do much to help her, right?"

Lathyn nodded slowly, glad to be understood. She had been thinking of the last time her mother had been in labor. Several years ago now, the memories were pretty blurry in the young girl's mind. She hadn't been allowed in the room with her mother then, that she knew. No matter how bad it was to see Ma in pain, it was worse last time when she didn't understand what was going on. She remembered the sharp smells, the muffled sounds of pain, and the sadness when the baby didn't make it. It had been winter then, and she had kept busy gathering sticks to throw in the hearth.

"I was such a baby then," she thought.

"I'm glad I can help Mama this time," she said to Aldhelm, who was still holding her tightly. "But it's still kind of scary."

"Yes, it is, and it's ok to be scared when people we love are hurting. Soon, though, we will have someone new in the family. You've never really spent much time with babies, Lathyn, but they are so much fun. They do the funniest things, you'll see. They are a lot of work, too, but you will be surprised at how much you can love your new brother or sister. You'll have someone who will always look up to you."

"What if you and Mama like him more than me?"

"That will never happen. The baby will need a lot of attention, but no one can take the place of my little flower!" With that he stood up and swung her in the air until she squealed happily.

Back on her feet, breathless, she laughed and wanted to ask her father for another turn. Just then however, she heard her mother cry out.

"I should go in, Papa," she panted out hastily and ran for the door again. She looked back and saw that the worry was back in his eyes. Impulsively, she darted back to his side and gave him a quick hug before slipping inside.