View Single Post
Old 12-14-2003, 07:19 AM   #252
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Shield

The late afternoon sun shone fiercely through the latticed windows, now cleaned and sparkling from the labours of the new cleaning maid Sigrid. The brightness was the first thing which the Innkeeper had noticed when she returned to the Inn, and it gave her a sense that she had chosen well with this new girl. Bethberry had also observed the sombreness of the young girl Eruvalde, who sat solemnly listening to the fiddler's music. Now, the Innkeeper was deep in conversation with Aylwen and Talan.

"There's a strong Gondorian soldier who I know who will help us rebuild," Aylwen confided. "His name is Hisimé.

Bethberry nodded. "Good, and we've several others. Talan, I would like to ask you to oversee the work, coordinating the workers while Aylwen plans the activities. We will have first to remove all the old structure, saving what wood remains for our great fireplaces. But first I would like you to see to the removal of the horses' bodies, and burial. Can you do that, Talan?"

Before he could reply, another young man coughed and hesitantly came up to the Innkeeper.

"Excuse me, ma'am, I am Olav by name and I worked with my cousin who was on the roof to put out the hot sparks which landed on the Inn. I handed him the buckets. But I see you will be needing more help. My cousin and I are passing through but I would like to stay."

The Innkeeper turned to him and saw, behind him, a dark haired man whose demeanour was less anxious to please, far more independent, but still raffishly charming. There was something about his eyes that caught her attention and she paused before replying to his cousin.

"Aylwen has told me you both were instrumental in containing the fire and also that you helped the young woman Sigrid. We are very indebted for your quick thinking and hard work."

Olav nodded his thanks.

"Yet you only seek work?"

"For now, yes, ma'am."

Bethberry wasn't surprised. The two cousins had a different air about them and she remembered seeing them in a spirited talk earlier, as if in disagreement. She hired Olav and introduced him to Talan and Aylwen, leaving them to talk while she sought out Froma.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 9:47 AM December 19, 2003: Message edited by: Bęthberry ]