View Single Post
Old 11-03-2003, 04:36 PM   #124
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Guthwine

Guthwine set up his small tent on the edge of the grove at the opposite end of the encampment from Lotar's. Then he made his way back to the central area where a number of the band still loitered waiting to hear what would come out of the meeting between Guthwine and Lotar. Lotar's bellowing response still echoed through their minds.

Helping himself to some soup from the simmering pot that hung over the firepit, Guthwine sat down on the log right beside Rudgar. He glanced around at the others in the circle and spoke with calm assurance, "Many of you do not know me. I am Guthwine and I hail from a small village in the Misty Mountains just north of your own. Our village too was attacked and destroyed by hillmen and Orcs, but we were luckier than you. Because we took aggressive steps to defend ourselves ahead of time, most of our women and children were saved. Now, our people have followed down to the Weather Hills and await there with your own, hoping to find a new home."

"You have seen our kin?" Kirima spoke up.

Guthwine shook his head. "Our numbers grow daily, as does the misery and hunger. I can not say whom I have or haven't seen in specific terms. But I can say this. If we do not find a place to settle, and quickly, great numbers will perish -- both from your village and my own."

"Then why are you here?" Rudgar challenged.

"I am here at the bidding of the council, the combined council of both our villages. I have been sent to help Lotar prepare for an imminent attack on Bree. That attack must come no later than a month from today. For once winter sets in, there is no hope for us. Our people will starve."

Soran's eyes widened as he understood the import of the stranger's words. One month.... They were to attack in just one month. How was such a thing possible? Out loud, he merely said gruffly, "And what is it you expect from us?"

Guthwine shook his head and sighed. "You and your companions have given generously and boldly, but now we must step up our preparations." He turned and looked at Rudgar, "You were a smart lad to go looking for allies. That is what we must do. With twenty or thirty more, we could wreck havoc on the outlying farms and instill fear in their hearts. Fear is as much a weapon as broadswords and staves."

Rudgar smiled broadly, "Then I should go out recruiting again?"

"Yes, but first you must go and make your peace with Lotar. Ask his forgiveness for acting on your own. But also ask that you and your companions be aloowed to go out and recruit others and begin your assault on the farms in the area. If you are respectful, I think you will find him responsive."

Rudgar drew in a sharp breath, "Respectful? But we heard the two of you bellowing at each other from clear across the forest. Why must I be respectful if you are not?"

"The disagreement between Lotar and myself is a personal one and does not affect anyone here. There were bitter words between us that go back many years. But you are a young man just starting out. And if you are to become a successful soldier, you must start by learning to take orders...."

"Soldier? I'm no soldier..." Rudgar muttered under his breath.

"Lad, that you are. You and all the others in this circle. If you wish to see your kin survive, if you wish to have a warm home again, there is only one course to take. Each of you must stop thinking of yourselves as a bandit out to steal a piece of this or that. You must each become a soldier, part of an entire group that will attack and bring down the walls of Bree. Our cause is just. We are homeless and hungry and need that piece of land to call our own."

"Now go and prepare yourselves to ride out soon. For I do believe that Lotar will say yes."

[ November 03, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]