View Single Post
Old 02-21-2004, 04:45 PM   #153
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Quote:
i'm taken aback by that ignorant comment from the boy in the newspaper.
I am also taken aback by the fact that such "boys" can win the Carnegie Medal, sell a zillion copies of their books, and do such a fine job of turning Milton on his head.

Clearly the guy doesn't know what he's talking about.

Quote:
No, no, give us examples. Start with the complexities of Legolas.
Quote:
Yes indeed. Why don't we start with the depth of compassion and love that he has for the Hobbits and Middle-earth. Why don't we start with the way he seems to be able to find humor in every situation, even on Caradhras. Why don't with the start with the faith and loyalty that he has, enough to stand by Aragorn and his companions to the end. Legolas didn't have to volunteer for the Fellowship. He could have gone back to Mirkwood and isolated himself. He volunteered for the Quest because he felt a deep loyalty and love for Middle-earth. He was one of the most noble, self-less characters in the books. Don't belittle him because Tolkien didn't choose to give us more insight into his character.
Both Kronos and Finwe have a point. On one side, there really isn't that much to Legolas. On the other side, we have the interesting case of someone that occupies a crucial niche in the narrative; Legolas is one of the few Elves willing to take an active role in the proceedings that decide the ultimate fate of Middle Earth. I wouldn't call the qualities Finwe listed as "depth" per se, because Tolkien never fleshes Legolas out; but that does detract from a reader's enjoyment of him. And that blond wig in the movies? Mmmmm.