View Single Post
Old 10-07-2002, 12:01 AM   #50
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

better late than never.

I first read the Hobbit in 1977, right after SW came out. I was 11. as much as I liked SW I loved M-E.
They were selling the nice Tolkien artwork Ballantine editions at Safeway [and JEA Tyler's cool "Tolkien Companion' at grocery stores too! So I got all of my LotR there in short order. prob rad them an average of 1x/year. read Silm in HB at the end of the Year it came out. I did not really get it till the 2nd try.

That edition and the 1st Ed. UT were my oldest possesions [well UT is, I gave the Silm to my son in FL - age 13]

how did it effect me?

well in short, it caused me to revolt from suburban society and spend literally 1/4th of my jr and sr years of HS in the woods [ Northern Va. has some great old Oak forests.

After graduating I began looking into intentional communities, and in my quest for elvishness, studided Gurdjieff, Taoism and finally became an Orthodox Christian.

I played a little D&D and AD&D but it was never really my thing, compared to music or exploring the woods.

My best friend [whom i met as he spied me on the Bus reading FotR for the second time.

HE was reading it also, but I didn;t want to talk about it, it was way to private. It was my link to Truth. Well I let my guard down and we soon had everyone we knew reading LotR and Co. and we formed a Toliien group where we met and discussed various things such as Bombadil's nature [ we had an old timer come once who authoritatively declared that TB was a Maia
[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] .

Anyway we all had nick's. and I was Lindil way back then.

recall reading BoLT1 when it came out. I curled up in a out of the way corner of Sprinfield mall and was enraptured as I read about the Cottage of Lost Play. I recall that it was a snowy day and the vanm i drove up in crashed into the guard rail on I-95.

I re-read the above and BoLT 2 but fell away for years though i peeked in HoME volumes as they came out, and re-read most of the books more or less yearly, buying new pb lotr/hobbits and keeping the HB SILM/UT.

And I must confess I never returned the public Library copy of the Road goes Ever on [ which I loaned to Saulotus and need to get back].

Sadly I had a chance to buy the Red single Volume of LotR for 45 $ yesterday and din't
[img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] .

I much prefer the aesthetics of HB reading.

Silm and UT in PB is not the same.

so 25 years for me.

my 6 yr old daughter is reading LotR w/ me this year and we just got to book 6.
I am ashamed to admit I almost always spend more quality time w/ the Legendarium than my prayer life or Tai-Chi. But somedays everything balances nicely.
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote