View Single Post
Old 10-05-2002, 07:28 AM   #49
Tarthang
Wight

Tarthang has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

This is my second attempt to post in this topic, for some reason the first wouldn't go through (a day or two after the initial start of this thread). So better late than never.

I've been reading Tolkien since the fifth grade (80'-81'). So that makes 22 years (I was 11 and am now 33).
We (my family that is) had seen Bashki's LOTR at the drive-in. It must've mad a large impact on me, as I found out my father had read the LOTR some years before. He still had The Hobbit and Fellowship of the Ring, which I immeadiately started to read. He sold the rest of the books to LOTR in a garage sale, and I can remember calling him a "dummy" for selling them.
I don't recall where I got the books to finish reading LOTR, but I had finished the trilogy by the end of sixth grade.
Somewhere during Jr. High or early High School I found a copy of Smith of Wooten Major and Farmer Giles of Ham in a box of books intended for a garage sale. I snagged the book and still have today (somewhere in several boxes of books of my own).
Apart from the Bashki influence, I also had an uncle who liked Tolkien. He had the pictures from the Hildebrandt calendars all over his room. From my uncle I learned there was a book called the Silmarillion. I was finally able to borrow it when I was 17 (it was loaned out to another uncle fro several years). I didn't get much from the first time I read it. I've since read the Silm a total of 3 times. Within the last two or three years I've started, slowly, reading through the Home series.
I read The Hobbit 1 or 2 times a year and LOTR at least once a year, since I first started to read Tolkien.

Like Mr. Underhill and Maril, I too was (am) a D&D'er (AD&D'er rather). I started playing in sixth grade, and were it not for Tolkiens influence, I'd have probably never discovered rpg's. The game had Elves, Dwarves and Hobbit's (despite the term "hafling" used by the gaming industry, they are based on Hobbit's, Iv'e yet to see a "hafling" description akin to Mckienans' Waerlingas). And then there are those nasty Orcs and Goblins as well.
Tarthang is offline   Reply With Quote