View Single Post
Old 09-28-2002, 09:59 PM   #42
Miz Lobelia
Newly Deceased

Miz Lobelia has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It's great to be on a site with so many people my age, or around my age!

I first read Tolkien 30 years ago, my freshman year at college. I had been seeing the books around (hard to miss - they were the first Ballantine papercovers with the pinks, blues, purples and bulbous fruit that Tolkien hated). I bought The Hobbit and was floored - and then I bought the three LOTR books and was absolutely blown away. I remember opening ROTK and thinking, "PIPPIN! Who cares about Pippin!" - I was so anxious to see what happened to Frodo and Sam. I must have read the first half of ROTK very fast, because when I reread the book I realized I had completely forgotten about the Paths of the Dead. Not to worry, as my second reading following immediately upon the heels of the first. I read LOTR six times my freshman year ! I must have talked about it a lot in letters and phone calls to my parents, since my Christmas gift that year was the HM 2nd edition hardcover set. (Daddy always said that any book reading more than once was worth getting in hardcover.) My brother gave me The Hobbit in hardcover for my birthday the next month. (The pages or that book are turning yellow!! Can I be THAT old?) Needless to say I read the Silmarillian the Christmas it came out (I was in grad school by then and that very semester wrote a paper for an epics class called "A Structualist Interpretation of the Lord of the Rings" which probably had poor Professor
Tolkien spinning in his grave and for which I still feel a little guilty.... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Marileangorifurnimaluim I have to admit to playing D&D as well, although to be honest it is usually some odd mixture of AD&D, Traveler, and whatever else the person running the game wants to mix in or make up. We used to play every other week , now we manage to play, oh, maybe twice a year..... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] . My first character was a half-elf named Idril.

piosenniel, in Junior High and High SchooI I loved Homer 's epics and mythology in general - might as well have had 'future Tolkien Geek' tattooed on my forehead. Did you major in Greek? I majored in Latin , so was wondering.

[ September 29, 2002: Message edited by: Miz Lobelia ]
Miz Lobelia is offline   Reply With Quote