Thread: Dumbing it down
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2005, 05:49 PM   #107
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendė
Book Aragorn is sure of himself in his 'destination' even if he is not sure which path will take him there; he knows and accepts his role. Film Aragorn cannot accept this until RotK. The two Aragorns are very different men in that respect.
Agreed. I suppose it comes down to whether people like their film heroes to have that element of doubt in themselves and their destiny. Rightly or wrongly, the film-makers thought that audiences would react better to an Aragorn who was unsure of his destiny. I can sympathise with that, given their understandable reluctance to address his "Divine Right" as a man of pure Numenorean blood (as opposed to simply the heir of a Man who was once king of Gondor). There was scant time to deal with the whole Numenorean heritage thing, and it might have put off some people. Far better (they presumably thought) to have someone who is both the heir to the throne and who, during the events of the film, proves himself worthy of it (to himself and others).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendė
Oh they do! I used to work with someone who did exactly that. Every tiny point from the films was turned over and inside out, yet no reference was made to the books!
Well then, the films must have produced quite strong feelings in them for them to have bothered spending the time to do that.