View Single Post
Old 04-09-2008, 09:40 AM   #52
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Underhill View Post
You can get the script here. Good ol' internets has it all these days.

EDIT: Better version here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bęthberry
The scene itself to me suggests the truth of Tolkien's observations on allegory and realism.

Could you elaborate on this?
You has most interesting links, Mister U and better (or more) internets than me. Danke!

As for my thoughts about realism and allegory, I was not thinking so much of Tolkien's comments in the Foreword to LotR, but some of his observations in his Letters. Unfortunately I don't have them to hand now--packed away pending work on new library--so I canna quote and don't have them by memory. (I know, terribly failing that. What kind of fan am I that don't know the letters chapter and verse?)

The fascination of Chigurh I think lies in the dual nature of the character. He, as most of the film, is depicted with a specifically, intensely realised realism. But the character isn't just a hitman, a brutal human being. He is more, approaching the status almost of a Bergman-like Death personified--and this is not just in Chigurh's mind. How the character achieves both states is a fascinating part of the movie. And Tolkien talked about this kind of allegory in one of his letters, as I recall.