View Single Post
Old 04-06-2008, 03:22 AM   #47
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bêthberry View Post
*Bethberry returns the bow to the Dark Elf*

You are right that Gilliam can capture whimsy and darkness. Yet I keep thinking of the naughty bits in The Brothers Grimm and wonder how much delight in that comedic touch would seep into a hobbit movie, willy-nilly almost. And he definitely leans towards ironic black comedy which is not how I would characterise Tolkien's humour. (Come to think of it, have we had any threads on Tolkien's humour?) Yet I could well be slighting Gilliam as his work does show a range of styles.
I would much prefer Gilliam's sense of humor to Tim Burton's (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory makes me cringe -- a horrid adaptation -- I like the first movie version with Gene Wilder), and I am unconvinced Del Torro has a sense of humor. But you are right, a thread defining Tolkien's humor is a great idea (as Treebeard opined, "There are Ents and Ents, you know; or there are Ents and there are things that look like Ents but ain’t, as you might say.").

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bêthberry View Post
Sadly, though, Warner Brothers refused to consider him for the Harry Potter films, didn't they, even though Rowlings wanted him? And doesn't Warner now own New Line? Would that not bode well for him?
Ahhh, it's such a muddled mess...MGM has a hand in it as well, as they still hold the movie rights to The Hobbit. In the end, it will probably be a director no one will agree on, and since Phillipa Boyens will write the script, be assured the movie itself will be as outrageous as LOTR in its rendering of the source material. Let's see, we can have Angelina Jolie as Bilbo's love interest (one can't make a Hollywood movie without a pronounced romance, right?), and Orlando Bloom will be Thranduil in this one (because, after all, he is Orlando Bloom), and if Tim Burton directs we'll have Johnny Depp as Smaug. Bah.