View Single Post
Old 09-04-2006, 06:28 PM   #142
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Silmarillion Chapter by Chapter

Provided there is still interest, I'm about ready to start the Silmarillion chapter by chapter discussion. I aim to have the Ainulindale intro up and the discussion started this weekend (i.e. September 9 - 10).

The Silmarillion discussion presents some interesting challenges not encountered in the previous discussions. As I see it there are two issues:

1. Each chapter of the Silmarillion covers significantly more plot than a chapter of LotR or The Hobbit.

2. The Silmarillion's unique history makes it less practicable to consider only the text as finally published.

I'm open to suggestions on how to deal with these issues. My thoughts for the moment are:

1A. We may want to allow a longer time (i.e. longer than one week) for each discussion before beginning the following chapter.

1B. Another possibility is to further sub-divide the chapters (particularly the later ones).

2. I wish to encourage, in addition to direct discussion of the chapter as found in the published Silmarillion, discussion of the history of each tale (i.e. of related material in UT and HoMe). But I certainly don't want to frighten off readers unfamiliar with the additional material. I plan to include a list of references in UT and HoMe for each chapter, and also to give a short introductory note on the textual evolution of each chapter. Does this sound like a good idea or might it be too intimidating?

I'd appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote