View Single Post
Old 12-05-2003, 10:31 PM   #1209
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Location: Road to Rivendell: 2491 miles from Hobbiton, with Frodo and Sam, homeward bound
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Welcome, Rosie-Posey! Don't worry about the miles...we all started from Hobbiton!

Thanks for linking to that picture, Helen. I've added to my screensavers.

We halted briefly while Aragorn tended the hurts of Frodo and Sam, but we were soon on our way again. It was in the middle night when we reached the eaves of Lothlórien, and most of our Company were very weary. We continued a short distance into the Golden Wood, and crossed the Nimrodel before stopping to rest. It was there that we encountered the Galadhrim, and they permitted us to shelter on their flets in the trees. Tomorrow Haldir will guide us to Caras Galadhon to meet Galadriel and Celeborn.

--------------------

Sam and Frodo now feeling eased and greatly refreshed were able to go at a fair pace...they heard an endless rustle of leaves like poplars in the breeze...In the dim light of the stars their stems were grey, and their quivering leaves a hint of fallow gold...[Aragorn] "We will go forward a short way, until the trees are all about us, and then we will turn aside from the path and seek a place to rest in."...they came upon another stream flowing down swiftly..."Here is Nimrodel!" said Legolas..."I will bathe my feet, for it is said that the water is healing to the weary."...For a moment Frodo stood near the brink and let the water flow over his tired feet...he felt that the stain of travel and all weariness was washed from his limbs.

...There was a sound of soft laughter over their heads, and then another voice spoke in an elven-tongue..."Who are they, and what do they say?" asked Merry.

"They're Elves," said Sam. "Can't you hear their voices?"

..."Welcome...Haldir is my name...Your folk must not remain on the ground...Tomorrow early you must go on...The four hobbits shall climb up here and stay with us--we do not fear them! There is another talan in the next tree. There the others must take refuge. You, Legolas, must answer to us for them. Call us, if anything is amiss! And have an eye on that dwarf!"