View Single Post
Old 04-01-2001, 03:21 AM   #18
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Seeker of the Straight Path
</TD><TD></TD></TR></TABLE>
Re: the detection of Boromir

Glorfindel: Gandalf remarks that the blood of Numenor ran true in Denethor and his son Faramir but not Boromir [from memory] I am not sure where this is, I think to Pippin in Minas Tirith. So while all 3 had the same anscestory Boromir ended up w/ the non-Numenorean genes [from the Rhovanions ? , coastal non-Numenorean Gondorians ?].That is my take on it anyway.

G &amp; all :I think the best answer as to why Boromir was not stopped is obviously providence.
Yes it was a long road but the Nazgul were on it searching for any clue to the Ring. We read in UT how they nabbed one of Saruman's Shire connections and from him obtained detailed info on Towns ,cities,and the name of Baggins etc. They would stop and question anyone they passed I think.And they were all up and down the road from Bree to the fords of Bruinen during the last stage of Boromir's journey. I think the last stage of travel being on this road is therefore unlikely. Going up alongside the mountains might have elicited a comment from B. on the return journey, esp as Gandalf was complimenting Strider . If Boromir had possesed more recent info on Hollin he would have spoken up maybe. That is why I considered the Ranger trail/road that must have run from Tharbad to their 'hidden fastness'in the angle of the Mitheithel/Bruinen and then on to Rivendell a likely route. However Boromir does offer the ambiguous statement of 'many have heard of Rivendell but few knew where it lay' [from memory] this seems to indicate that he met someone [ or a few] who did know where it lay.This narrows it down to Dwarves ,Wandering Companies and Rangers I would say.
He seems suprised to see Halflings in Rivendell so I wonder if it indicates not having passed through Bree or the borders of the Shire. As 2 of the great roads do.

Lindil is oft found on posting on the Silmarillion Project at the Barrowdowns and working on a new Elven/Christian discussion board<a href="http://beta.ezboard.com/bosanwekenta" >Osanwe-Kenta</a> 'The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night, and awaken early before dawn- exchanging lore and wisdom such as they possessed , so that they should not fall back into the mean and low estate of those , who never knew or more sadly still, had indeed rebelled against the Light.' </p>
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote