View Single Post
Old 01-28-2020, 11:41 PM   #19
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
Well, well... it's been a few moons since I hit the ol' POST REPLY button. I am sad to hear of Christopher Tolkien's passing. I've nodded along while reading all of the replies. No writer -- especially not one as organizationally challenged as JRRT -- would dare to hope for such an exacting and faithful steward for his or her life's work. Christopher's dogged organizing, research, sleuthing, and scholarship has immeasurably enriched the Tolkien canon.

It feels like another way to mark the end of an era, in a time when it increasingly feels like we're brushing up against "the end of all things". Or maybe that's just my advancing middle age showing, nearly twenty years after I first logged into this wonderful website. This place has been on my mind lately. Much has changed in the world and in my life, but one thing I miss is thinking -- and talking about -- Middle-earth on a daily basis. Tonight I raise a glass in Christopher Tolkien's honor, and in appreciation of all you Tolkien-heads too.
Mister Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote