View Single Post
Old 06-23-2022, 03:50 AM   #8
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
How many people got deep into Middle-earth on the back of the movies?
A good question. I've always been doubtful of the films' ability in the end to inspire an appreciation for the books, but I personally can't say one way or the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
Particularly if they centre it on "Aldarion & Erendis". Having an actual narrative in there, with a detail level closer to LotR than Silm, is likely to snag a lot more readers than HoME did. The Estate has known this for a while - that's why they pushed Children of Hurin so hard.
PJ's films, flawed as they were (in my eyes, at least), did display a basic respect for Tolkien and the spirit of what he created. I have no belief Amazon is concerned with that.

The question then becomes, will the series be so far departed from its source material that writings produced over 50 years ago will have any resonance to those "introduced" to Tolkien there?