View Single Post
Old 06-15-2020, 02:06 PM   #9
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil View Post
Best FotR chapter title? "Fog on the Barrow-downs" wins for me: there's something of mystery and a hint of menace just in fog (especially if you come, as I do, from an arid clime that experiences it but rarely), and both barrows and downs are older English terms that you don't find in my part of the world--hills, yes; downs, not so much--so it has some of the Tolkienian vocabulary (or, as someone in England might call it, "vocabulary").
I completely agree with this, and I thought of naming it amongst my favorites. I guess it doesn't do any harm that we also associate it with this sinister forum.

I actually think the Danish translation manages to achieve something similar with "Tåge over Dyssehøjene". You very seldom here the word "dysse" being used, "gravhøj" or "jættestue" is much more common. Dyssegæst (barrow-wight) has a very unsettling ring to it, but not if you translate it literally back to english "barrow-guest"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil View Post
ACTUAL favourite chapter?

Either "Three is Company or Strider. The former has a little bit of Gandalf, some Gaffer, and poetry; and it is the first of many chapters to lovingly take you through a landscape. And it has peak Black Rider. And then the Elves bursting on the scene. And that final note of mystery: Gildor's bafflement at Gandalf not turning up and his dark hints about the nature of the Riders.

And Book I might be my favourite of the six books--if I can be said to have one.
In some way I think that a Short Cut to Mushrooms is peak Black Rider, I was never more scared of them than when the Hobbit saw one on the hill they had just climbed down. Though "A Conspiracy Unmasked" is a close second, Merry's appearance at the Bucklebury Ferry gave me a good scare, and it was downright creepy when the hobbits looked across the river seeing the black (bundle) rider there.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote