View Single Post
Old 06-14-2020, 04:33 AM   #4
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Best FotR chapter title? "Fog on the Barrow-downs" wins for me: there's something of mystery and a hint of menace just in fog (especially if you come, as I do, from an arid clime that experiences it but rarely), and both barrows and downs are older English terms that you don't find in my part of the world--hills, yes; downs, not so much--so it has some of the Tolkienian vocabulary (or, as someone in England might call it, "vocabulary").

ACTUAL favourite chapter?

Either "Three is Company or Strider. The former has a little bit of Gandalf, some Gaffer, and poetry; and it is the first of many chapters to lovingly take you through a landscape. And it has peak Black Rider. And then the Elves bursting on the scene. And that final note of mystery: Gildor's bafflement at Gandalf not turning up and his dark hints about the nature of the Riders.

And Book I might be my favourite of the six books--if I can be said to have one.