View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013, 12:34 PM   #6
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Regardless of what the articles are like, I think this is a valid question. I can't think off the top of my head of any war the dwarves initiated that did not have something to do with vengeance and/or reclaiming lost property (the Nauglamir, Moria, Erebor...). I agree with pretty much everything that has been said so far, but I'd also like to add that overpopulation is a big motivator for war, and the dwarves hardly had a need to expand their habitat.

I would also argue that speaking about testosterone is irrevelant because the dwarves are not children of Ilúvatar but reflect Aulë's beauty ideal instead. If it was about testosterone, more dwarves would marry, but as it is, few but their kings and chieftains do (HoME11).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulvenok
I wonder what a female dwarf looks like though...
The Later Quenta Silmarillion in The War of the Jewels says the following. I was very happy to see Peter Jackson included bearded dwarf women in the Hobbit film.
Quote:
For the Naugrim have beards from the beginning of their lives, male and female alike; nor indeed can their womankind be discerned by those of other race, be it in feature or in gait or in voice, nor in any wise save this: that they go not to war, and seldom save at direst need issue from their deep bowers and halls.

Last edited by Aganzir; 01-15-2013 at 06:50 AM. Reason: no dwarven cheiftains for me
Aganzir is offline   Reply With Quote