View Single Post
Old 10-30-2010, 11:06 AM   #10
Andsigil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Andsigil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
I don't want to seem rude but what map are you looking at that makes Moria nearby? Erebor lies North East of the High Pass and is a good 250 miles as the crow flies, rather longer even if the woodelves help or at least do not hinder your journey through Mirkwood. Moria is about 200 miles further South by a straight line route you can't take since you have to cope with the river, the marshes and the nasties which are gaining strength in the mountains. Also you have to pass pretty close to Dol Guldur, whence the emissary of Sauron - on whose demands you are urgently seeking advice before the end of the year (and this is now November)-probably came. Even if you took this route the Dimrill Dale would have been clear.

All in all would have been eccentric if not irresponsible to take this substantial detour.
As I explained in my previous message, I meant that in relative terms, given the distance traveled already and all of the time spent treating with Sauron's emissaries and making a decision.

It also seemed strange that no other dwarves of renown (Gimli can't be the only fit and hardy warrior in Erebor, after all) were sent to check on Moria.

Inzil has covered a lot of the answers already.