View Single Post
Old 10-05-2009, 09:45 PM   #51
CSteefel
Wight

CSteefel has just left Hobbiton.
Yes, I see now the passage about joining Gil-Galad in Lindon, which does seem to be the last (1969).

There seem to be 3-4 versions of the Galadriel and Celeborn story--I personally like the version in which they hung out in Nenuial in the Second Age. But also interesting is the late addition in the Unfinished Tales about the Third Age and the "long journeys of enquiry in Rhovanion, from Gondor and the borders of Mordor to Thranduil in the north...", after which "Celeborn and Galadriel passed over the mountains to Imladris, and there dwelt for many years..."

But I note in the Unfinished Tales that
Quote:
To Lorien Celeborn and Galadriel returned twice before the Last Alliance and the end of the Second Age; and in the Third Age, awhen the shadow of Sauron's recovery arose, they dwelt there again for a long time.
There is specific mention in 1980 of the Third Age, where
Quote:
it was not until the disaster in Moria, when by means beyond the foresight of Galadriel Sauron's power actually crossed the Anduin and Lorien was in great peril...
which makes an interesting link between the Balrog (Durin's Bane) and Sauron (or is it just that Sauron's orcs now begin to populate Moria??). In this regard, I am still a little surprised that Galadriel did not know what Durin's Bane actually was...