View Single Post
Old 10-05-2009, 01:13 PM   #50
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSteefel
But I read this in the Unfinished Tales last night. Somewhere I saw that some of Tolkien's comments on Galadriel came in 1967, shortly before he died. This was part of what I read last night (I didn't make it to the Amroth section), so I am not sure that Amroth is latest. I don't have my copy of the book(s) here, but will check again tonight.
There are some late Galadriel texts, yes, but nothing in them (that I remember at the moment anyway) that contradicts a return to Lindon sometime after the fall of Eregion. Concerning Celeborn And Galadriel is not thought to be a late 60s text -- and is: 'a short and hasty outline, very roughly composed' incidentally.

Quote:
Anyway, if you read the Unfinished Tales Concerning Galadriel and Celeborn, there are abundant references to Celeborn having left Lindon in the 2nd century of the Second Age, and 1) either moving to Eriador, as I mentioned above, or 2) going to Eregion and/or Lothlorien. So the question becomes which of these comments is the latest from Tolkien...'
OK, for clarity perhaps, I'm proposing that Celeborn and Galadriel left Lindon (as you note) for Eregion, and ended up back in Lindon according to the text I noted above (instead of Belfalas). For myself, I also factor in what Tolkien himself published, giving this great weight, and The Road Goes Ever On is not only later than Concerning Galadriel and Celeborn but was also published by JRRT himself.

'She passed over the mountains of Eredluin with her husband Celeborn (one of the Sindar) and went to Eregion.' RGEO

Now granted, this may be a very shortened account that simply doesn't mention any sojourn about Lake Nenuial -- or on the other hand perhaps this trip to Evendim was abandoned (as I tend to lean). In the older text it is noted that Amroth was born to Galadriel at this time near Nenuial, but later Tolkien revised the notion that Amroth was Galadriel's son, in any case.
Galin is offline   Reply With Quote