View Single Post
Old 10-05-2009, 12:21 PM   #49
CSteefel
Wight

CSteefel has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galin View Post
The idea is based on a strand at least, a short text published in Unfinished Tales and noted by Christopher Tolkien in his commentary to Amroth and Nimrodel (itself dated 1969 or later). According to this account, when Sauron withdrew to Mordor Celeborn (who had himself gone to Lórien at first) 'rejoined Galadriel in Lindon'. A contemporary writing is variant from this in that both Celeborn and Galadriel went to Lórien, but in this brief alternative there is no mention of where they went after Sauron withdrew and was concerned with conquest in the East.

Thus, to my mind anyway, the 'latest' mention of any destination at this time appears to be Lindon; and Tolkien had also written ('in a note in unpublished material' according to note two of The History of Galadriel and Celeborn) the detail of Celeborn's rule in Harlindon, as well as connecting Celeborn more to Lindon (although admittedly vaguely) in the revised Lord of the Rings of the 1960s.

You likely mean 'later' in the book, but I'll add that this version is not later than the statement regarding Lindon in Appendix B. This account is from Concerning Galadriel and Celeborn which appears to predate the second edition of The Lord of the Rings, and also appears to contain a number of ideas that (IMO) were revised.
But I read this in the Unfinished Tales last night. Somewhere I saw that some of Tolkien's comments on Galadriel came in 1967, shortly before he died. This was part of what I read last night (I didn't make it to the Amroth section), so I am not sure that Amroth is latest. I don't have my copy of the book(s) here, but will check again tonight.

Anyway, if you read the Unfinished Tales Concerning Galadriel and Celeborn, there are abundant references to Celeborn having left Lindon in the 2nd century of the Second Age, and 1) either moving to Eriador, as I mentioned above, or 2) going to Eregion and/or Lothlorien. So the question becomes which of these comments is the latest from Tolkien...