View Single Post
Old 10-04-2009, 12:06 PM   #44
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by skip spence View Post
Also, didn't Galadriel (according to UT) live in Lindon for most of the Third Age? Arwen probably came to visit there too, and crossing Eriador was surely not without its risks. But like I said, it's futile really discussing Arwen's life and personality since we know next to nothing about it.
Unfinished Tales is characteristically and distressingly unfinished as to where Celeborn and Galadriel lived in the Third Age prior to returning to Lórien. It suggests, though, that after leaving Imladris in the Second Age, they went, not to Lindon, but to Edhellond in Belfalas--the haven Amroth sailed from much later.

I quote the pertinent passage:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The History of Galadriel and Celeborn
But some time later [there is no indication of the date] Galadriel and Celborn together with Celebrían departed from Imladris and went to the little-inhabited lands between the mouth of the Gwathló and Ethir Anduin. There they dwelt in Belfalas, and the place that was afterwards called Dol Amroth; there Amroth their son at timse visted them, and their company was swelled by Nandorin Elves from Lórinand. It was not until far on in the Third Age, when Amroth was lost and Lórinand was in peril, that Galadriel returned there, in the year 1981. Here the text, 'Concerning Galadriel and Celeborn' comes to an end.
The only clear thing I can glean out of this is that Galadriel and Celeborn did not return to Lórien until after the death of Amroth. I would assume they did not spend this whole time in Edhellond, though; if only because Celebrían needs to meet back up with Elrond in the early Third Age and get married, and because I can't see them still having a residence in Edhellond when Amroth comes through. My impression is that all the few remaining Elves in Edhellond were on that last ship, and Celeborn and Galadriel cannot have been there if that was the case.

However... also from Unfinished Tales, and at variance with 'Concerning Galadriel and Celeborn' is this excerpt from 'Amroth and Nimrodel':

Quote:
Originally Posted by The History of Galadriel and Celeborn
It is not made clear in the late accounts where Galadriel and Celeborn passed the long years of the Second Age after the defeat of Sauron in Eriador; there are at any rate no further mentions of their agelong sojourn in Belfalas (p.310).
The discussion of Amroth continues:
But during the Third Age Galadriel became filled with foreboding, and with Celeborn she journeyed to Lórien and stayed there long with Amroth, being especially concerned to learn all news and rumours of the growing shadow in Mirkwood and the dark stornghold in Dol Guldur. But his people were content with Amroth; he was valiant and wise, and his little kingdom was yet prosperous and beautiful. Therefore after long journeys of enquiry in Rhovanion, from Gondor and the borders of Mordor to Thranduil in the north, Celeborn and Galadriel passed over the mountains to Imladris, and there dwelt for many years; for Elrond was their kinsman, since he had early in the Third Age [in the year 109, according to the Tale of the Years] wedded their daughter Celebrían.

After the disaster in Moria [in the year 1980] and the sorrows of Lórien, which was now left without a ruler (for Amroth was drowned in the sea in the Bay of Belfalas and left no heir), Celeborn and Galadriel returned to Lórien, and were welcomed by the people. There they dwelt while the Third Age lasted, but they took no title of King or Queen; for they said that they were only guardians of this small but fair realm, the last eastward outpost of the Elves.
Elsewhere there is one other reference to their movements during those years:
To Lórien Celeborn and Galadriel returned twice before the Last Alliance and the end of the Second Age; and in the Third Age, when the shadow of Sauron's recovery arose, they dwelt there again for a long time. In her wisdom Galadriel saw that Lórien would be a stronghold and point of power to prevent the Shadow from crossing the Anduin in the war that must inevitably come before it was gain defeated (if that were possible); but that it needed a rule of greater strength and wisdom than the Silvan folk possessed. Nevertheless, it was not until the disaster in Moria, when by means beyond the foresight of Galadriel Sauron's power actually crossed the Anduin and Lórien was in great peril, its king lost, its people fleeing and likely to leave it deserted to be permanently occupied by Orcs, that Galadriel and Celeborn took up their permanent abode in Lórien, and its government. But they took no title of King or Queen, and were guardians that in the event brought it unviolated through the War of the Ring.
All of which is to say... for Arwen to go visiting grandparents during the Third Age would have been at least a bit of an adventure... unless they were staying in Imladris. The texts are pretty unclear on it...

Before I went on that massive quoting ramble, I meant to comment though about travel across Eriador, by referencing the Wandering Companies--such as Gildor Inglorion's, that Frodo et al met in the Shire. Granted, we are seeing them from a particularly Hobbit perspective, but one does not get the impression that the Elves would have been in much danger at any point in their wanderings--so Arwen traipsing across Eriador to reinforce her High Elven heritage among the remnants of the old Kingdom of Lindon doesn't look too dangerous--or is this just an illusion?