View Single Post
Old 10-03-2009, 10:17 AM   #30
Morwen
Shade of Carn Dűm

Morwen has just left Hobbiton.
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
In the books, though, I don't see much evidence she did a great deal of travelling. Journeys to and from Lórien (likely under guard) would seem to be the limit of the world she knew.
Her mother, of course, was captured by Orcs while crossing the Mountains, but there's no indication Arwen ever was in any sort of danger. And why would she have gone anywhere but Lórien?
The tale of Arwen and Aragorn deals with only a tiny fraction of Arwen's life. I don't know that we are given any indication of what she might have been up to in all the long years of her life prior to meeting Aragorn. I take Skip Spence's point that we don't know enough about her to definitively say that the Rivendell/Lorien route is the extent of her travels.
We do know that she does some traveling. During the 60 (?)year period between her first meeting with Aragorn and the Council of Elrond she apparently makes at least three trips between Rivendell and Lorien:

1. Her journey from Lorien to Rivendell - first meeting with Aragorn
2. Her journey from Rivendell to Lorien - second meeting with Aragorn
3. Her journey from Lorien to Rivendell - at the time of the Council of Elrond

These journeys take place at a time that Sauron's power in ME is growing and also after the attack on Arwen's mother. Neither of these things appears to have inspired Arwen to become a shut in, confining herself to either the safety of her grandparents' lands or that of her father's house. Instead she appears to be dividing her time between the two places, justifying her father's description of her as Lady of Imladris and Lorien. Given that she does some traveling during the darkening latter days of the third Age, is it not possible that she might have ventured futher afield in the earlier part of it, before her mother's attack, before Sauron had begun to regroup?
Where she would go besides Lorien? Aredhel while she lived with Eol is described as venturing far and wide under starlight. I don't recall any mention of a visit to a specific place. But certainly their excursions could fall under a broad definition of traveling. Similar types of excursions for Arwen in the earlier part of the Third might be a possibility.
I emphasise that the above are suggested possibilities. I am not saying that Arwen definitely and most certainly did these things. But I do agree with Skip Spence that we don't have enought info to definitely and certainly rule them out.